Ironman 70.3 Haines City, Florida RESULTS
FOR RESULTS ——-> CLICK HERE <——–
Ironman 70.3 Haines City, Florida RESULTS
FOR RESULTS ——-> CLICK HERE <——–
What to Do when a Dog Attacks While you’re Running
by Charlotte Andersen for SHAPE.com
Whether you run in the park or around town, chances are you’ve come across a dog or two during your miles. And while some are friendly, leashed, and only want to play with you, others can cause panic as you wonder if you’re going to be attacked.
For one 63-year-old female, that nightmare came true last week. The unidentified woman was found dead, mauled during her morning run in Littlerock, CA. Police quickly seized eight dogs that were identified by an eyewitness as the attackers, though DNA tests need to be run to verify if the dogs were the killers.
Unfortunately stories of runners being confronted by dogs are becoming more common as irresponsible owners dump their unwanted pets or improperly restrain them. But you don’t need to stop your workout to stay safe. Roo Yori, a dog trainer who specializes in pit bull rehabilitation and the proud owner of the famous and beloved therapy pit bulls Wallace and Hector, offers advice on how to deal with an unknown or aggressive dog.
1. Don’t run. Tough advice for a runner, but Roo explains that while your natural instinct may be to flee, you need to fight that. “Unless you know for sure you can get behind a barrier of some sort that will separate you from the dog, running away or screaming is most likely going to make the situation worse. Chances are, you’re not going to out-run a dog, and the act of running will probably activate the chase instinct present in all dogs.”
2. Freeze. Most of the time, the best thing is become motionless, Roo says. So think of making your body like a post and fold your arms across your chest. “If you’re boring and don’t engage the dog, it will most likely sniff your leg and move on,” Roo says. “Wait until the dog is a good distance from you, and move quietly to a safe area.”
3. Be a rock. If the dog still attacks you and manages to knock you over, Roo says to curl up and cover your head, like the tornado drills you did in school, pulling your face down into your chest and covering your neck with your hands. He reiterates that if you’re boring, the dog is much more likely to simply leave you alone.
4. Take precautions. If you’re particularly concerned, you can carry a canister of pepper spray or mace with you, and Roo adds that there are citronella versions that also work well. But the best prevention is to know your route. Avoid any areas where owners allow their dogs to roam, and if you’re trying a new path, drive it a few times first to see if you notice anything unsafe, canine-related or otherwise. Then simply stay aware while running. “If you notice an unknown dog ahead of you that you’re not comfortable with, the sooner you stop and keep your distance-without running away-the better chance you’ll have at avoiding an encounter,” Roo says.
Have you ever been attacked by a dog? Tell us about your experience in the comments below or tweet us @Shape_Magazine
For complete article, and others, CLICK HERE <—–-
St. Anthony ‘s triathlon 2013 results
Demand for rentals soars in Southwest Florida
By Josh Salman
The cost of residential rent in Southwest Florida is climbing at one of the fastest rates in the nation, as recession-battered borrowers pushed out of their homes through foreclosure turn to leased apartments for a place to live.
BY THE NUMBERS
Southwest Florida’s rental market soars
• Nation’s fourth highest occupancy at 96.9 percent in February
• Nation’s sixth-steepest price increase at 6.68 percent
• Average rent of 89 cents per square foot
• More estimated growth of 3 percent annually through 2017
Source: Axiometrics Inc.
From college students to young families and retirees, an influx in new demand for residential leases is now pushing rental occupancies in Sarasota and Manatee counties to well beyond those in powerhouse markets like San Francisco, Manhattan and Chicago.
Coupled with appreciating home prices for buyers, the cost of basic shelter in Southwest Florida is now outpacing wage adjustments for the first time since the housing slump took hold six years ago.
“Anything I have that’s rentable is rented,” said Harvey Vengroff, who operates 1,400 workforce housing rentals in greater Sarasota. “People who work at the mall or in a labor job can’t afford the rents that are out there. That’s the market we’re moving into.”
Sarasota-Bradenton-Venice showed the fourth highest rental demand of all metropolitan statistical areas in the nation, boasting an average occupancy of 96.9 percent during February, according to the apartment data provider Axiometrics Inc.
Only Naples, Nassau, N.Y., and Edison, N.J., had better rental occupancy rates last month.
Keep Running! Stay Strong Boston.
Boston Marathon Webpage
By KATE STANTON, UPI.com
Below find a passionate response from Mr. Patton Oswalt. An unlikely source, but a wonderfully written response.
Plenty of celebrities took to web in the aftermath of the Boston Marathon explosions on Monday, but it was Patton Oswalt’s tender reaction that really struck a chord with social media users.
In a Facebook post that has already received more than 98,000 likes and 82,00 shares, the 44-year-old comedian espoused his continued faith in the goodness of humanity in spite of the day’s tragedy.
“The vast majority stands against that darkness and, like white blood cells attacking a virus, they dilute and weaken and eventually wash away the evil doers and, more importantly, the damage they wreak, Oswalt wrote.
Here’s his Facebook post in full:
Boston. F***ing horrible.
I remember, when 9/11 went down, my reaction was, “Well, I’ve had it with humanity.”
But I was wrong. I don’t know what’s going to be revealed to be behind all of this mayhem. One human insect or a poisonous mass of broken sociopaths.
But here’s what I DO know. If it’s one person or a HUNDRED people, that number is not even a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of a percent of the population on this planet. You watch the videos of the carnage and there are people running TOWARDS the destruction to help out. (Thanks FAKE Gallery founder and owner Paul Kozlowski for pointing this out to me). This is a giant planet and we’re lucky to live on it but there are prices and penalties incurred for the daily miracle of existence. One of them is, every once in awhile, the wiring of a tiny sliver of the species gets snarled and they’re pointed towards darkness.
But the vast majority stands against that darkness and, like white blood cells attacking a virus, they dilute and weaken and eventually wash away the evil doers and, more importantly, the damage they wreak. This is beyond religion or creed or nation. We would not be here if humanity were inherently evil. We’d have eaten ourselves alive long ago.
So when you spot violence, or bigotry, or intolerance or fear or just garden-variety misogyny, hatred or ignorance, just look it in the eye and think, “The good outnumber you, and we always will.”
Patton Oswalt ✔ @pattonoswalt
“Look for the helpers. You’ll always find people who are helping.” — Fred Rogers, on what to do when scary things are on the news #boston
The Homeless/Vagrants are getting out of control in downtown Sarasota and surrounding cities.
UPDATED - With Pictures of Homeless, Vagrant, Displaced
It appears the city and police are making a gentle push to move the growing hoard of bums that congregate outside Elaine Fischer's store on North Lemon Ave, the downtown public library, five points, and throughout downtown, every evening.
ADAMO ISM Gel Racing Saddle ** For Sale
ISM Adamo Race Saddle
THE ORIGINAL and still top-of-the-line performance saddle for triathletes and time trialers.
Designed for aggressive riding in the 0 to 30 degree hip angle position (aero bars). This seat offers superb comfort in a normally uncomfortable position. The Adamo Racing is completely UCI compliant for time trialing. It even sports a nifty transition rack hook on the back for racking your bike. Uses light weight foam and gel pads with titanium alloy rails. 245mm long and 130mm wide.
Patented, new design that eliminates the “nose” part of the traditional saddle
Eliminates pressure on the perineum area resulting in improved blood flow
Eliminates numbness which can accompany traditional saddles
Integrated tri-hook under the rear of the saddle allows for quick placement and removal of bike in transition area
Lightweight foam padding with Gel inserts
HED 3 Carbon Wheelset ** 700c ** FOR SALE
$925 for set… Cassette and tires included.